Why is chocolate so toxic for dogs?

Why is chocolate so toxic for dogs?

Dr. Maria de Bettencourt Tavares Dr. Maria de Bettencourt Tavares
2 minute read

Easter is around the corner, and all kinds of chocolate will be on our (dog parents!) menu for a few days. And what happens when we eat something we love? We want to share it with our dogs too! But, this time, that’s not possible, and below we’ll tell you why: 


Let’s have a closer look at why chocolate is so toxic for dogs: 

It is mainly due to 2 ingredients found in chocolate:

  • Theobromine and 
  • Caffeine. 

These ingredients come from the cocoa beans (which is what chocolate is made of) and are not added by manufacturers. The types of chocolate that contain higher amounts of these compounds are milk and dark chocolate. 


What about white chocolate?

That’s right because white chocolate is mainly made of cocoa butter (where dark cocoa solids are absent) it contains negligible amounts of theobromine and caffeine. Nevertheless, it will still have a considerable amount of fat and sugar, which are two additional ingredients that will harm your dog when ingested in excess. So, in essence, it is better to avoid all types of chocolate when it comes to dog treats.


What to do if my dog has eaten chocolate?

You should visit a veterinarian if you believe your dog has eaten chocolate.  The first signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs may take a couple of hours to show but will certainly not go unnoticed, as these may include: 

  • Vomiting (with blood at times), 
  • Excessive thirst, 
  • Muscle twitching, 
  • Tachycardia 

Symptoms that may progress into cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, and death.

Now you know why it is so important to keep chocolate out of all paw’s reach!


Celebrate Easter with organic, healthy treats instead!

Zoe Vizsla for LOONAWELL

Zoe knows best and has got her healthy treats by her side. 

You can also invite your pup to a healthy organic treat this easter. We have just baked our latest batch! Ready to order?

« Back to Blog